BPWA in the News
- 36 Hours in Berkeley, Calif. (The New York Times, October 12, 2014)
- Berkeley Path Wanderers co-founder helps blaze trail on city walkways (Inside Bay Area, September 3, 2014)
- Berkeley’s Newest Public Pathway is named for Betty Olds (Berkeleyside, January 13, 2014)
- All the Berkeley paths in 1 day: 11- and 12-year-olds (Berkeleyside, January 6, 2014)
- Charlie Bowen Honored for Work on Berkeley’s Paths (Berkeleyside, October 12, 2012)
- Podcast “Urban Stairs of the Bay Area” (KQED Forum, July 22, 2011)
Listen to BPWA’s President Colleen Neff and authors Adah Bakalinsky and Charles Fleming chat with Dave Iverson.
- Pedestrian Pathways (The New York Times, July 2, 2011)
- Pros and Amateurs gather for photowalks (Contra Costa Times, April 6, 2011)
- 36 Hours in Berkeley, Calif. (The New York Times, March 30, 2008)
We are mentioned in Item 4, entitled INTO THE WILD, where our map is suggested for walking in Berkeley.
- Local Takes a Step to Beautify City (Daily Cal) Bruce McMurray, a resident of North Berkeley, has worked to improve the condition of the Le Roy Steps with help from other community members.
- Berkeley Path Wanderers Invade Kensington (Kensington Outlook) Articles in the November Online Issue, one describing the Kensington portion of the Trail of 4 Cities (see p.5) and another article submitted by Bryce Nesbitt and Kensington Improvement Club President Linda Lipscomb titled “KIC Continues Paths Reclamation Project” (see p.9).
- Hiking Groups and Trail Organizations: Trail of 4 Cities (examiner.com) Article by Susan Alcorn on the day-long hike covering Oakland, Berkeley, Kensington, and El Cerrito – Oct 23, 2010
- Berkeley’s 100th pathway opens for foot traffic (Berkeleyside) Article by Tracey Taylor on the ribbon cutting ceremony on Northgate Path on July 18th, 2010.
- Blogger Explores City One Step at a Time (The Daily Californian) Article by Allie Bidwell on Jennifer English and her explorations of the City of Berkeley and her writings on her blog. Sept 18, 2009 .
- Volunteers Work to Restore Berkeley Paths (Daily Cal) Nice article by Asaf Shalev on how the Path Wanderers Association helps open Berkeley Hills to foot traffic. April 9, 2008
- Path Wanderers Leave No Carbon Footprint (Berkeley Daily Planet) By Sandra Friedland, Dale Miller and Susan Schwartz, Special to the Planet (01-15-08)
- Walking Every Street in Berkeley (Berkeley Daily Planet) By Jennifer English, Special to the Planet (01-15-08)
- First Person: Berkeley Paths by Paul Brumbaum (01-22-08)
Planning a Trip?
Not about us, but a nice article on a few of the celebrated paths in Los Angeles. This piece is from the Los Angeles Times. You may wish to try a few of these stairways the next time you are in the City of Angels.
Some Past News Items on BPWA
Although a bit dated now, this article in the San Francisco Chronicle from July 2004 gives a good reporter’s view of BPWA and the path-building activities that we have fostered. It includes some history of the Path Wanderers, as well as information about projects that were under way a few years ago.
Also, another older piece done by William Rodarmor for the Summer 2004 issue of the Berkeley Hills Realty Newsletter entitled “Paths of Least Resistance” is definitely worth reading.
Finally, there is a nice article on Berkeley: City’s Rocks and Strolls, from the San Francisco Chronicle that was done in November 2005.